Questions, fears remain after man dies in own home after San Jacinto shooting

Numerous sheriff's officials converged on the neighborhood after the shooting was reported. William Hayes & Miguel Shannon video screen

Numerous sheriff’s officials converged on the neighborhood after the shooting was reported. William Hayes/Miguel Shannon video photo

SAN JACINTO – A man was fatally shot while inside his own home Monday, Aug. 29. The deadly shooting happened in the 400 block of W. 2nd Street in San Jacinto.

Deputies from the Riverside County Sheriff’s San Jacinto Police Station responded to the residence about 1:52 a.m., after receiving reports of shots being fired in the area.

Emergency dispatchers also received a 911 call reporting a gunshot victim inside a home.

Deputies began arriving on scene within one minute of the dispatched call and found a male adult suffering from multiple gunshot wounds inside a residence.

“The male victim was transported, by ambulance, to a local hospital where he ultimately succumbed to his injuries,” Riverside County Sergeant Raymond Huskey explained in a press release about the deadly shooting. “The identity of the victim is being withheld at this time pending notification of next of kin.”

Investigators from the San Jacinto Police Station and the Sheriff’s Central Homicide Unit responded to the home and assumed the investigation.

Deputies cordoned off the crime-scene area and interviewed witnesses to the fatal shooting. William Hayes & Miguel Shannon video screen

Deputies cordoned off the crime-scene area and interviewed witnesses to the fatal shooting. William Hayes/Miguel Shannon photo


Investigators, officials, forensics personnel and others remained at the residence well into the next day photographing the scene, collecting evidence and documenting their findings.

In the absence of officially released details to explain what actually happened, neighbors have been left wondering what led to the deadly incident.

Some neighbors have been claiming the incident was a drive by shooting, while others have claimed it was a home invasion that led to the shooting.

Sam Nelson, who resides in San Jacinto stated he had heard gunshots come from several different locations just before the gunshots that led to the fatal shooting on 2nd Street.

“We hear gunshots here in San Jacinto every single night. Sometimes it goes on all damned night long. But this was different,” Nelson stated. “This is just getting f—ing ridiculous. I don’t even feel safe leaving my house to walk my dog anymore”

Sheriff's officials discuss the deadly shooting. William Hayes & Miguel Shannon video screen

Sheriff’s officials discuss the deadly shooting. William Hayes and Miguel Shannon photo

Tabitha Ryley, who lives on 2nd street, not far from where the fatal shooting occurred, said she was told by family and friends of the victim it was a home invasion that led to the victim’s death by gunfire. “We’re all scared to death. We don’t know what to think anymore.”

With the investigation just hours old and in it’s early stages, sheriff’s officials have not yet divulged what led to the shooting or what the cause of the shooting actually was.

“The investigation is ongoing and no further information will be released at this time,” Huskey explained.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact Investigator Janecka of the San Jacinto Police Department at (951) 791-3400, or Investigator Button of the Sheriff’s Central Homicide Unit at (951) 955-2777. Callers can refer to incident file number I162420004 and can remain anonymous. Citizens may also submit a tip using the Sheriff’s Homicide Tipline online form.

Click any image to open full-size gallery.

Contact the writer: [email protected]

trevor main

Trevor Montgomery runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes for Riverside County based newspapers, Valley News and Anza Valley Outlook and also writes for Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg and breaking his back in an off-duty accident.

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations, including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center and Lake Elsinore Station, along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 26 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and has 13 children and 12 – soon to be 13 – grandchildren.

One comment

  • No Tabitha Ryley it was not a “home invasion” so don’t feel so scared… and no the police DID NOT show up within a minute of the call because they were going to SEVENTH ST instead of SECOND ST they got the address WRONG and NOBODY ELSE CALLED IN ABOUT ANY SHOTS FIRED, only two calls they received were both from the victim!!! Funny how police release LIES TO THE PRESS…