Hours-long rooftop San Jacinto stand-off ends with arrest

SAN JACINTO, Calif. — A man on probation was arrested after an hours-long, rooftop stand-off and SWAT callout where the man had tried to hide after fleeing from deputies in San Jacinto Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 9.

The standoff where the man was eventually apprehended happened at a two-story home at the intersection of Garrett Way and Arroyo Viejo Drive, about two blocks from where the incident began.


UPDATE: Hunt for masked gunman who shot off-duty Los Angeles County deputy in San Jacinto continuing

Children, 1 and 2, “found unconscious” in car at Walmart – Pregnant mother arrested

Murder investigation continuing after man’s body found in Hemet

Menifee man, 19, ID’d after deadly Jurupa Valley crash

Man killed in Ramona Expressway head-on crash

Deputies from the San Jacinto Sheriff’s Station responded to 1800 block of Browning Court around 1:30 p.m., after receiving the report of a domestic disturbance, Riverside Sheriff’s Sergeant Brad Farwell later said of the incident and arrest.

The 911 caller told emergency dispatchers that the man causing the disturbance “had an active domestic violence court order barring him from being at the residence,” Farwell explained.

San Jacinto resident Chance Morris was arrested after a nearly three-hour standoff, during which he refused to come down from the roof of a home where he had tried to hide from deputies. Eddie George/Hemet News photo

When deputies arrived they located the alleged suspect, Chance Morris, 33, of San Jacinto, near the residence where the disturbance had occurred.

Responding deputies tried to reason with Morris, but when he refused to leave the location deputies attempted to arrest him, according to Farwell.

“Morris pushed deputies away and took off running, jumping fences into adjacent back yards,” Farwell said. “Deputies gave chase, but Morris was able to jump onto a roof of a two story residence in the 800 block of Garrett Way.”

As deputies continued trying to reason with Morris and coax him off the roof, SWAT personnel began arriving along with the fire department; who brought a ladder to help the resistant man down from the home’s roof.

As the hours-long incident continued, a sergeant at the scene reported that a crisis negotiator had been notified and was responding to the area to assist.

Deputies speak with Morris after his apprehension. Eddie George/Hemet News photo

About three hours into the standoff firefighters began setting up a hose, which they planned to use to help coax Morris down from the roof with.

Not wanting to be sprayed with the fire hose, Morris suddenly jumped from the roof, and despite the home and entire block being surrounded he immediately attempted to flee on foot once again.

Video coverage from the scene captured by RCNS affiliate reporter Eddie George of Hemet News (which can be viewed below) showed that as deputies converged from every direction, Morris attempted a flying kick to the face of one of the deputies, who caught Morris’ leg in mid-air and tackled him down to the ground.

While about a half-dozen of the on-scene deputies and SWAT members struggled to get Morris into handcuffs, other deputies provided crowd control due to groups of area residents and curious onlookers who watched the action and apprehension from across the street.

A deputy is seen tending to and comforting two dogs that ended up in the middle of deputies’ attempts to get Morris into handcuffs. Eddie George/Hemet News photo

As the struggle continued for a full two minutes, one of the deputies was seen running to the aid of two terrified dogs who were somehow caught in the ensuing melee. He was assisted by a woman who appeared to be a nurse.

Even after Morris was handcuffed and deputies sat him up to recover from his apprehension, he continued struggling with them and was seen trying to stand up several times while cursing at the deputies holding him down.

Deputies eventually managed to carefully place Morris into the back of a waiting patrol SUV. He was then transported to a local hospital to be medically cleared “since he fought with law enforcement,” Farwell explained.


COVID-19 concern rising after third positive test at Burney Elementary

Already on parole for DUI, intoxicated man arrested after deadly crash

Cottonwood man ID’d after fatal solo-vehicle crash near Shingletown

Woman, 56, killed in Palo Cedro head-on crash ID’d

UPDATE: Man fatally struck by big-rig on I-5 ID’d

Morris was eventually booked into Robert Presley Detention Center on suspicion of violating a domestic violence restraining order, violation of probation, making criminal threats and resisting arrest.

Online jail records indicate Morris remains in custody and was scheduled to be arraigned at an unspecified court this morning.

Anyone with information on this case is encouraged to contact Deputy Mike McQueeney at the San Jacinto Sheriff Station by calling (951) 487-7368. Callers can refer to incident file number I203440040 and can remain anonymous.

Click any image to open full-size gallery.

Eddie George/Hemet News photos above, video below.

This article sponsored by:

With breaking news articles, videos, podcasts, opinion pieces and more, Law Enforcement News Network has all the latest news and information related to law enforcement issues across the nation.

For more information, contact Bill Tyler at Century 21 Full Realty Service.

Voted Best Independent Sandwich Shop in the Inland Empire by The Press-Enterprise readers choice. Centrally located on N Harvard St in the heart of Downtown Hemet, enjoy over 30 different sandwiches and premium salads. Our coffee is made from locally roasted, Organic Coffee Beans from Idyllwild Coffee Roasters. Come taste the difference that is Downtown Deli & Coffee Company. For more information, visit Downtown Deli & Coffee Co. on Facebook.

Contact the writer: trevor.rcns@gmail.com

Trevor Montgomery, 49, moved in 2017 to the Intermountain area of Shasta County from Riverside County and runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes or has written for several other news organizations; including Riverside County based newspapers, Valley News, (the now defunct) Valley Chronicle, Anza Valley Outlook, and Hemet & San Jacinto Chronicle; as well as Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County and Mountain Echo in Shasta County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back, and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident. (Click here to see segment of Discovery Channel documentary of Trevor’s accident.)

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations; including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center, and Lake Elsinore Station; along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 30 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and his “fluid family” includes 13 children and 18 grandchildren.