UPDATE: Quartzsite, AZ man, beloved owner of two radio stations, ID’d after fiery Riverside wreck

UPDATED: Friday, Oct. 15, 1:07 p.m.

Originally Published: Tuesday, Oct. 12, 9:57 a.m.

See Original Story below.

RIVERSIDE, Calif., — Family members have publicly identified a man who was killed in a fiery Riverside crash that occurred on the northbound I-215 transition to the eastbound SR-60 Friday evening, Oct. 8. Officials had initially said the driver was burned beyond recognition after the accident, which destroyed the victim’s vehicle and left it barely recognizable.

According to friends and family the victim, now identified as Marvin Vosper, of Quartzsite, AZ, had previously lived in the Fallbrook and Oceanside areas, and by all accounts was a well-known and much beloved owner of two AZ radio stations, KBUX-FM and KCNL-FM.


Juveniles, 1 & 16, fatally ejected in Menifee rollover collision – Corona teen arrested

UPDATE: Rifle-wielding man who repeatedly fired upon pursuing officers killed in Palm Springs

Naked man who stripped off women’s clothing and assaulted girl, 12, arrested near Corona school

DUI suspected in fatal crash with partial ejection that killed Menifee passenger, 29

Suspect named in Anza murder – May be headed to Northern CA

In a social media post made after his father’s tragic and unexpected passing, Dennis Vosper wrote, “With deep sadness and gut punching force my mother received that dreaded middle of the night knock on the front door at 2:20 am from our local Quartzsite Police, who were sent to notify her about my father who was killed last night in a tragic fiery rollover crash.”

“He was en route to his home here in Quartzsite, AZ,” the grieving son explained.

In his post, (which can be viewed in its entirety below), Dennis went on to describe his father’s 42-year career in the television and radio industries, beginning in 1978 when he took a job as a TV broadcast engineer for Christian television network, KTBN.

Throughout the years, Marvin juggled his full-time career in television with part-time radio gigs before purchasing KBUX-FM in Quartzsite in 2011. Then, in 2019, Marvin made an offer on a second radio station and the deal was sealed, birthing KCNL-FM 105.9 FM Classic Rock.

“This was yet another step in the direction of fulfilling his lifelong dreams of full-time radio station ownership and operation,” Dennis explained.

Then, just three weeks ago, Marvin and his crew at KTBN were let go due to budget cuts.

“My Dad worked in this position for 42 years, so this was not a comfortable transition to be making,” Dennis said in his post.

“I remember encouraging him and telling him this was perfect timing… the two radio stations, KBUX-FM and KCNL-FM were ready to support both of us and that this was a God send,” Dennis, who worked alongside his dad helping to build the two radio stations, continued. “He could now devote his full-time efforts to the two stations and get to see them really take off.”

Dennis went on to explain that over the last three weeks his dad had been busy tying up loose ends in California, and was on his way home when the fatal accident occurred.

“My Dad was but days away from fully realizing his lifelong dream of full-time ownership, operation, and engineering on HIS OWN radio stations, when this tragic car crash prevented him from seeing the dream come to fruition,” he sadly continued; describing his father as “one of the most giving, trusting, and forgiving men you will ever meet.”

“He had a heart of gold and would sacrifice time and again to be sure his family had what they needed,” he added.

Dennis went on to say that his family, along with his mother, would be moving forward and will continue to build his father’s radio stations in his memory and “to honor his life, his efforts, his love of radio, and most importantly to honor and recognize his love for family.”

Original Story: Burned beyond recognition, victim remains unidentified after deadly Riverside crash

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Authorities today are continuing their efforts to identify a man who was burned beyond recognition after a fiery solo-vehicle crash Friday evening, Oct. 8. The deadly accident happened on the northbound I-215 transition to the eastbound SR-60.


Local man, 27, found murdered in Jurupa Valley

Elderly San Jacinto woman dies after two-vehicle collision near MSJC campus

Botched Hemet robbery ends in death of one suspect, arrest of second man

Teens arrested after trio of violent Hemet & Perris home invasion robberies

Mead Valley shooting leaves local man, 46, dead

California Highway Patrol, Cal Fire-Riverside, and other emergency personnel were dispatched to the scene around 9:10 p.m. after receiving reports of a traffic accident with fire, CHP Officer Juan Quintero has since reported.

When officials arrived they found a vehicle, believed to be a Jeep Grand Cherokee, fully engulfed in fire and quickly set about extinguishing the blaze.

“Once the vehicle fire was extinguished, it was determined the solo male occupant had succumbed to his injuries at the scene,” said Quintero.

CHP’s preliminary investigation revealed there were no other vehicles involved and for reasons still under investigation the vehicle went down the embankment overturning several times before catching fire.

“The vehicle and solo male occupant were completely burned beyond recognition and positive identification is pending
coroner autopsy,” Quintero continued.

This is an active investigation and anyone who may have witnessed the fatal accident is encouraged to call the California Highway Patrol, Accident Investigation Unit at (951) 637-8000. Callers can remain anonymous.

Contact the writer: trevor.rcns@gmail.com

Trevor Montgomery, 50, moved in 2017 to the Intermountain area of Shasta County from Riverside County and runs Riverside County News Source (RCNS) and Shasta County News Source (SCNS).

Additionally, he writes or has written for several other news organizations; including Riverside County-based newspapers Valley News, Valley Chronicle, Anza Valley Outlook, and Hemet & San Jacinto Chronicle; the Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County; and Mountain Echo in Shasta County. He is also a regular contributor to Thin Blue Line TV and Law Enforcement News Network and has had his stories featured on news stations throughout the Southern California and North State regions.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back, and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident. (Click here to see segment of Discovery Channel documentary of Trevor’s accident.)

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations; including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center, and Lake Elsinore Station; along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 30 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and his “fluid family” includes 13 children and 18 grandchildren.


Leave a Reply