HEMET: Homicide suspect shot during traffic stop

HEMET – A man wanted in connection with an Oceanside murder was shot by a Hemet police officer Friday, Feb. 24. The shooting happened during a traffic stop at a gas station about 3:16 p.m., according to Hemet Police Lieutenant Eddie Pust.

Hector Galvez was arrested and charged with first degree murder after he was shot during a traffic stop in Hemet.

Officials later identified Hector Galvez, 30, of Hemet, as the suspect who was shot by a Hemet police officer during the felony traffic stop.

Galvez was wounded in the officer-involved shooting, Pust explained after the incident. He was treated at Hemet Valley Hospital for a gunshot wound to the arm before Hemet police investigators released him to the custody of Oceanside Police.

A second Hemet resident wanted in connection with the murder, identified by officials as Jamie Nichole Radloff, 27, was located and arrested later the same day. Radloff was arrested by Oceanside police detectives in the unincorporated area of east Hemet.

Galvez and Radloff were later booked in San Diego County on charges related to the shooting death of Bishop.

The murder investigation began early Friday morning after Oceanside police officers responded to multiple 911 calls from citizens reporting hearing gunshots about 4:45 a.m. Callers also reported hearing a man screaming for help near Buccaneer Beach Park in Oceanside.

The first officer to arrive at the scene found the fatally injured victim in the 1700 block of South Myers Street in Oceanside, according to Oceanside Police Lieutenant Valencia Saadat.

Medics took the victim to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla for further evaluation and treatment. According to Sadaat, he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead by hospital staff less than an hour later.

Jamie Radloff was charged with first degree murder after she was located and arrested in East Hemet.

Officials later identified the victim as 45-year old, Joel Bishop.

Blood, a white powdery substance believed to be drugs, and other evidence were found in a roadway near where Bishop was found lying in a front yard. Officials investigating his murder said gang activity was not believed to be a factor in the deadly shooting.

Witnesses reportedly told Oceanside police officials they saw a white car drive away from the scene of the deadly shooting. Galvez was later shot after being pulled over in what was believed to be the same white car.

During the course of their investigation, Oceanside police officials identified Galvez and Radloff as suspects in the deadly shooting. Officials have not yet specified what information or evidence led them to identify the pair or what circumstances led to the deadly shooting incident.

Based on their initial investigation, Oceanside officials requested the Hemet Police Department to assist in locating and detaining Galvez and Radloff for questioning.

Shortly after 3 p.m., Hemet police officers spotted Galvez driving in the area of W. Florida and S. Palm Avenues. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle as it pulled into a Mobil gas station at the intersection in the 900 block of W. Florida Avenue.

“While officers were attempting to take the suspect into custody, an officer-involved shooting occurred,” Pust explained. “No police officers or bystanders were injured during this incident.”

One witness to the shooting, who did not want to be identified, said she had just pulled into the gas station to buy a drink when she saw officers pull into the gas station behind Galvez’ car.

“I was inside and I didn’t see a whole lot, but I do know there was only one shot,” the witness explained. I heard all the sirens and saw they were pulling someone over. The next thing I know I see all the cops.

“They ended up pulling their guns out and telling the guy in the car to show his hands,” the witness continued. “He wouldn’t show his hands and I guess he was reaching for something. I happened to look down at my phone and the next thing I know I hear a pop.” (See video of interview below.)

After the shooting, officers on scene put out an emergency call for assistance and requested medical assistance for the injured suspect.

Hector Galvez, wanted in connection with an Oceanside murder, was shot during a traffic stop. Heidi Simler photo

As dozens of officials converged on the gas station many were seen with their guns drawn. Some officers were seen tending to Galvez’ gun shot wound while others began separating and interviewing witnesses.

A Riverside County Sheriff’s helicopter arrived in the area within minutes and was seen circling over the gas station as more officers, deputies, medics, and other officials continued arriving in the area.

Within minutes of the shooting, witnesses took to social media discussing the shooting. While many asked questions about the incident others posted photographs and first-hand accounts depicting the tense moments after the shooting as well as the subsequent hours-long investigation.

Hemet police officials brought a mobile command center to the scene and temporarily closed the gas station and parts of Florida and Palm Avenues while authorities investigated the shooting incident.

An online jail records search revealed Galvez was booked at the Vista Detention Center on suspicion of first degree murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Radloff was booked at the Vista Detention Facility on suspicion of first degree murder.

Both Galvez and Radloff are being held without bail and both are scheduled to be arraigned at the North Division Court in Vista Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 1:30 p.m.

Anyone with further information regarding this incident or investigation is asked to contact the Hemet Police Department at (951) 765-2400. Callers can remain anonymous.

Click any image to open full-size gallery.

John Strangis video

Gary Rainwater-Eddie George/HemetEyeNews video


Contact the writer: [email protected]

trevor main

Trevor Montgomery spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg in an off-duty accident.

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations, including the Robert Presley Detention Center, the Southwest Station in Temecula, the Hemet Station, and the Lake Elsinore Station, along with many other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, Personnel and Background Investigations and he finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator.

Trevor has been married for more than 26 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and has 13 children and 12 – soon to be 13 – grandchildren.