Ono standoff, SWAT call-out ends after shot fired at deputies

ONO — A Shasta County probationer and wanted felon who fired a shot at deputies trying to apprehend the man was arrested after an hours-long barricaded standoff in Ono last night, Sunday, Jan. 26.

During the lengthy standoff the man who was arrested, 31-year-old, Jake Matthew Houser, barricaded himself inside an unoccupied cabin; “claiming he was heavily armed, the house was a stronghold, and he had a grenade,” according to Shasta County Sheriff Eric Magrini.

Houser also reportedly told deputies “he wouldn’t be taken into custody without a fight.”


Prowler pulls gun-shaped lighter on homeowner – who responds with own, real gun

Wanted felon arrested after APD pursuit into Happy Valley

Shingletown head-on crash injures 3

Last night’s incident began around 4:30 p.m., when Shasta County sheriff’s deputies were patrolling the area of Newscott Ln, north of Platina Rd., about 15 miles southwest of Redding.

The deputies were in the area searching for Houser; who had two felony robbery warrants, Magrini reported at the end of the long incident and after Houser’s apprehension.

Jake Houser was arrested after barricading himself inside a cabin, leading to an hours-long standoff. During the incident Houser reportedly claimed to be heavily armed with firearms and a hand grenade and allegedly fired a round at deputies while they surrounded the cabin where the wanted felon had been hiding. SCSO booking photo

Houser’s warrants stemmed from two recent violent incidents, according to Magrini; who said the first warrant was for his suspected involvement in the Dec. 8, 2019 armed robbery of the Midway Market in Anderson.

A second warrant was issued after a Jan 11 incident where he allegedly threatened his own mother before “assaulting her and taking her car by means of force and fear constituting robbery,” according to Magrini; who said that based on his crimes Houser was considered armed and dangerous.

While searching the area for Houser, deputies spotted the wanted man near an unoccupied cabin at the end of Newscott Ln.

Upon seeing deputies approaching, Houser fled into the cabin “and immediately began barricading the front door,” Magrini later said.

Based on Houser’s warrants, as well as his alleged crimes and previous violent behavior, deputies at the scene requested assistance; at which time other deputies and area law enforcement officers began to converge on the area.

While deputies began surrounding the cabin and setting up a perimeter around the large rural property, Houser reportedly fired a single gunshot at officials.

“The bullet exited through a wall and struck the ground between two patrol cars that deputies were standing behind as cover,” Magrini reported.

As the tense standoff continued, Houser spoke with deputies on the phone, telling officials “he was heavily armed, the house was a stronghold, and he had a grenade.”

Based on the escalation of violence and Houser’s continued refusal to exit the residence members of the Sheriff’s SWAT team, Hostage Negotiating Team, and Bomb Squad were all notified and responded to the scene. Tactical medics were also summoned to the area to stand by in case they were needed.

Over the next several hours HNT members continued communicating with the barricaded suspect while trying to convince him to exit the cabin peacefully.

SWAT members eventually deployed chemical agents into the cabin but Houser still refused to come out, according to Magrini; who said at one point during negotiations Houser agreed to throw out one of his weapons and threw out a 30-30 caliber rifle.

Negotiations continued for several more hours and additional chemical agents were introduced into the house, at which time Houser finally agreed to exit the cabin and surrender to waiting officials.

When Houser did finally exit the cabin he was taken into custody without further incident, according to Magrini.

With Houser in handcuffs and detained in the back of a patrol vehicle, SWAT memers entered the “heavily barricaded” cabin, where they found a second rifle descibed as an AK-47.

Despite searching the cabin and surrounding area, deputies did not locate the grenade or any other explosives that Houser had claimed to be in possession of.

Based on their investigation, deputies arrested Houser and transported him to Shasta County Jail in Redding where he was booked on suspicion of robbery, evading or resiting a peace officer, carrying a loaded firearm, and making criminal threats. He was also booked on his robbery and vehicle theft warrants.

Additional charges could still be filed against Houser once the sheriff’s investigations are completed, according to Magrini.

Jail records indicate Houser remains in custody and is being held without bail.

No officers or other citizens were injured during the standoff or Houser’s apprehension.

This article sponsored by:

For more information about Junior’s Westside Auto Sales visit them on Facebook or online.

Spectrum O & P is a leader in providing exceptional quality prosthetic and orthotic products throughout Northern California & Southern Oregon. They are committed to giving each patient personalized and attentive care, understanding that their needs are unique and they deserve our best! 

Spectrum O & P’s desire is that everyone should feel comfortable knowing their goal is to tailor every product to meet each person’s specific goals while using the highest quality orthotics & prosthetics and best technology available.

To learn more about Spectrum Prosthetic and Orthotics’ services, make sure to visit them online or on Facebook.

Contact the writer: trevor.rcns@gmail.com

Trevor Montgomery, 48, moved in 2017 to the Intermountain area of Shasta County from Riverside County and runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes or has written for several other news organizations; including Riverside County based newspapers, Valley News, (the now defunct) Valley Chronicle, Anza Valley Outlook, and Hemet & San Jacinto Chronicle; as well as Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County and Mountain Echo in Shasta County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back, and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident. (Click here to see segment of Discovery Channel documentary of Trevor’s accident.)

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations; including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center, and Lake Elsinore Station; along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 29 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and his “fluid family” includes 13 children and 16 grandchildren.